Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Right, since my last post I've got a fair bit more done.

The metric fine taps arrived and I've now cut the correct threads into the rack extensions. They do start to wind onto the rack but the threads on the trackrods are quite badly rust damaged. I've ordered a die to recut them, but it's taking it's time getting to me as it's coming from China.

In the meantime I ordered some more bits from car builder solutions, brake unions and T-pieces, and a steering shaft with a universal joint in it. I'll use the new shaft to midofy my existing shaft so it fits properly and works without making contact with any other parts. (at the moment it fouls the chassis.)

I also re-assembled the rear axle, the diff and driveshafts are now back where they belong. My cable clamps arrived so I shortened the handbrake cables, and the handbrake now works!

As the bad weather finally broke, I started to dismantle the BMW 540 I have sitting on the driveway. Unfortunately the wheel bolts are stuck in fast, I only managed to get 1 wheel off it before my impact gun lunched 3 impact sockets then exploted in a cloud of smoke. It's been returned to machine mart under warrantee, hopefully I'll get it back soon. However I turned my attention to the engine bay and removed lots of useful parts, one of which was the auxiliary cooling fan. It was jammed solid but I've partially freed it but ran out of time. Hopefully I'll get it working again as it will save me about 100 quid ove rhaving to buy an kenlowe or pacet fan big enough to cool that brute of an engine.

Lucky me I've been put back on nightshift, hopefully I'll get some garage time in the afternoons, but not as much as i'd like, probably.

No comments: