Saturday, January 9, 2010

I picked up the steering rack extensions today, but unfortunately the guys didn't have a suitable tap to cut the metric fine thread on the rack end. I've ordered some taps, along with a die to clean up the threads on the rack. I'll get that finished just as soon as the tools arrive.


While I wait for the tools to arrive, I've gotten on with item 2 on the to do list, the rear axle. Today I removed all the studs I had to cut off to remove the driveshafts, cleaned up the diff casing with a rotory wire brush and gave it a coat of plasti-kote paint. The colour really isn't for show, it's just a protective coating that requires less prep than paint, and the red is what I had lying around.

I had removed the diff mounts, which I'll grit blast and paint tomorrow. I didn't grit blast the diff itself as getting grit into the diff mechanism would destroy it in use, not worth the risk.



No comments: