Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ok after spending a couple of hours nearly every day over my Christmas break in the garage and not really achieving much, i decided to get organised. The problem was that the entire project had no real planning or structure to it. What i needed was a "to do" list. So I spent an hour sitting on my little stool (right in front of both heaters) and planned and wrote it all out on a piece of scrap ally chequerplate left over from the floor.

I can't remember the whole thing off the top of my head, but I've split it into 13 mini projects and it looks whole lot more manageble now, in my head, at least. The first few things on the list are to get the running gear finished. So I'll finish the steering, finish recondiontioning the rear axle and then get the propshaft made. I'll post the full list up soon, along with the pictures i keep promising.

So, item 1 on the to-do list - finish steering. I had a go at extending the steering shaft from the wheel to the rack, and found that it fouls the chassis, great - plan B is TBA. However I did finally get round to removing the steering rack and cutting off the other BMW trackrod end. I've made some measurements and designed extension pieces. I went to the lathes shop at work to ask some advice from the proper machinists, and they offered to get an apprentice to knock them up for me as a training excercise - result! Item 1 on the list coming on well then.

No comments: