Wednesday, January 27, 2010

After spending my afternoon yesterday helping my sister finish off her horse-box project, I had a bit of time free this evening before work to carry on with some things in the garage.

I painted the completed steering extension shaft to stop it rusting, and I'll fit it tomorrow hopefully.

I then completed the trial fitment of the propshaft. With the thinner piece free to slide inside the larger front end, I bolted both ends to their drive flanges. I then sprayed grey primer all over the join where they met. This gives me an accurate alignment mark to put it back to, as I had to separate the halves again to remove them from the car.

With the to halves of propshaft removed, i wire brushed the end of the larger piece to remove all the paint for about half an inch up it's length, this is to allow it to be wleded to the inner piece. I also wire brushed 2 very small sections on the inner piece (brushing it all would have removed my previously painted on alignment mark) and slid them back together up to the alignment paint. I made sure the 2 ends were square and tack welded them together at the two cleaned up points. I Rotated it to make sure they were both running true, and then fully wire brushed the whole joint. I'll have that professionally TIG welded very shortly (and FOC!) but it will have to wait till I take the engine out to replace the clutch to be re-fitted.

I took some pics and will post them tomorrow - if I get time.

No comments: