Monday, October 26, 2009

Ok, so today didn't go so well. I thought I'd better post up they odd day when I'm not so productive, you know those frustrating days when it all just goes wrong - just to have some balance to this build record, honestly!

Today I attempted to mount the steering rack - and failed. After taking lots of measurements, and doing several sets of workings out on scrap paper with marker pens I finally had the dimensions for mounting brackets, that would hold the rack in the right place relative to the steering arms on the front hubs.

Having cut a couple on the saw, I proceeded to drill the mountng holes in the drill press, but they had vanished into thin air! I knew I hadn't moved from that spot, and they were gone! So I proceeded to make another set, at which point the first set magically re-appeared. Grrrrrr.

Having finally got all the brackets made, I had very little time left before work but decided to weld the first section in place, just so i could say I achieved something. I fired up the welder and made a very neat and tidy weld. I stood back to admire my handiwork, and realised it was the wrong piece of bracket! Dammit!

At this point I just gave up, I'll cut it off tomorrow and have another go.

The only other thing I have done since is dismantle the acclereator pedal and mask it up ready for grit blasting and painting. it will be painted black to match the other 2 pedals.

No comments: