Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Well at last some progress to report!

Following on from my last update, I did indeed re-look at the wiring loom, and decided to junk it.

It took me about 4 hours of painstakingly tracing the engine harness through the loom to find where each cable terminated and discovering it's function. Out of the 23 wires that joined the engine harness to the rest of the car, only 3 were actually needed, these were the live feed to the fuel pump, a switched live supply from the ignition barrell, and the starter solenoid power cable. All the rest were signal leads for the on board computer, check control system etc. so no longer required.

I carefully cut each wire in turn and checked to see if the engine would still turn over, until i was left with just the three I knew I needed. So the rest of the loom, fusebox etc has been discarded. I'm going to reuse some components from it to save from buying new, (coloured cable/fuses/relays etc) but for the most part it's going to be binned.

I'm feeling a lot more positive about the build now, and feel like i can now start to make some more headway. I've ordered new fuse and relay boxes from CBS and bought my headlights. I think I'm going to try to make a start on the exhaust manifolds and cooling system soon. Now I know what I'm doing with the wiring, i think i can leave it for a while, Anyway, i need to have all the lights mounted on to make a tidy job of wiring them up.

I apologise for the lack of recent pictures, but wiring isn't all that interesting to look at, and the rest of the car hasn't really changed anyway.

Keep reading!

No comments: