Friday, January 21, 2011

Today I removed and tested the thermostat, by placing it in a pan of boiling water. After a few minutes of boiling, it opened, but not much. It's meant to open fully at 85 degrees, so it's knackered.

I cut the working parts from the centre, as the outer ring supports the rubber o-ring seal that fits to the housing, then refitted it to the engine. After running the engine for a while, and manipulating the rad hoses to ensure there were no airlocks, the water flowed nicely through the rad. The engine temperature settled nicely at around 70 degrees.

Today I also fitted the oil pressure sensor using the adaptor I made, and the gauge now works. The oilpressure starts off at about 100psi at cold, going down to about 25 when hot, and the gauge reacts very quickly when the engine is revved.

Next to do I guess is the front wingstays and wings, nosecone, bonnet (need more aluminium) and drive tunnel top.

No comments: