Monday, March 1, 2010

I got some more done yesterday, and hit a problem or 2 as well.

I finished all the welds inside the engine bay that weren't accessible with the engine in place and ran and fixed the reamining front brake pipes. The front half of the braking system is now complete. The rear half just needs 2 more little flexi's.

I was then looking to see if I needed to do anything else bfeore refitting the engine. One thing has become clear, re-fitting the engine will be a 2-person job as the engine mounts, propshaft and gearbox mounts need to be aligned all at the same time, and it has to be done without hitting, snagging or otherwise damaging the lovely new brake pipes.

The other snag is that I need to fabricate and fit one of the panels for the gearbox tunnel, as it needs to be riveted on from the inside, which would not be possible with the engine and box in the way. I made up a template from corrugated plastic sheet - which was rubbish. I need to make another one. The difficulty is that the panel has to fit around the clutch master cylinder and it's pipe, without touching it.

I also need to panel in the end of the pedal box, which is a really complicated shape. I really have gone and made this difficult for myself.

I'll keep you all posted.

No comments: