Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ok update time.... after a week on days i have indeed got quite a bit done.

All the parts and tools I ordered arrived very quickly, so I re-cut the threads on the steering rack and fitted the extension pieces, connected it all up and the steering works! Woo hoo, i can finally put a tick against a thing on my to do list - the steering is finished.

I have also ticked off item 2 - recondition rear axle, as all that is left to do on there is get 2 new flexi hoses and fit them - easy peasy. The ones I was able to remove from the BMW were is such poor condition that it wasn't worth re-using them.

Well no sooner was the steering finished, i had to paritally dismantle it again, as the engine had to come out. I Have removed the engine and box for 3 reasons - I needed to install the clutch, I had to run the copper brake lines around the engine bay for the front brakes, and I need to do a couple of last welds inside the engine bay. All of these would have been very difficult with the engine in place, and removing it isn't much hassle.

So with the engine out i have fabricated and fitted all the front brake pipes, at the moment only partially clipped in place, i need to do the welding before i fully rivet the clips in places as there is a chance i could damage the pipes with the heat from the welder.

I have taken the time to re-fit the clutch with brand new stainless steel bolts of the correct size, and fit the gearbox back up to the engine.

I have also fitted the brake balance valve in position in the brake circuit, in the centre console, within easy reach when driving.

The last thing I have done this week is revomve the alternator from the scrap BMW, it is actually the one off my donor engine, i had to use it on the BMW when I was driving it regularly as it's own packed up.

So the plan for this week is to finish the few welds, brake lines, and get the engine back in with the propshaft fully installed too. At this point, all the major mechanical systems will be in place, and the next phase is to get them all working.

No comments: