Monday, May 24, 2010

Moving on from my Huuuuuge success of starting the engine to be honest i havn'e had a lot of time in the garage since. what time i have spent in there has been further removing obsolete wiring from the donor loom. I have split the fusebox open, and hope to remove most circuits from it, well, all of them in fact and build a new, small fusebox for just the few that i do need.

One of the main reasons i haven't been in the garage is that for the second time I have gone and started a side project. regular readers will remember the old BMW 540i I resurrected which took a lot of car building time away from me. well this project is slightly different in that it is very much related to the race car build. I have bought a caravan chassis from ebay for the princely sum of £61. I collected it from wiltshire on Saturday, and it towed the 85 miles home just fine. The last couple of days have seen me stripping down the remains of caravan (the base, wheelarches and wiring) from the chassis and taking measurements so i can design a car transporter structure to build on it.

The plan is to make the whole thing a bolt together assembly, so it can be dismantled and sent to be galvanised. the caravan chassis itself is galvanised steel and shows no signs of rust at all. The resulting car transporter trailer will be used to carry the race car to the track days I plan to take it on, as it will not be road legal. It will also allow me to move the entire project to a new location if we ever sell our house. I'll post up pics of the trailer build as it progresses. I'm hoping it won't take long.

No comments: