Monday, December 7, 2009

I recently got some time to myself, so I reconditioned 2 steel wheels to fit the front axle. They were very grubby and rusty, but luckily I have access to an industrial grit blaster which does an amazing job of cleaning them up. see the pics below for the results:

Here are the wheels with the tyres removed (incidentally my local tyre fitters charged me a bank-breaking £3 for removing and disposing of the old tyres!) as you can see they are very mucky and rusty around the rims. However under the tyres was immaculate, so I masked off the centres as they simply did not need doing.


This is the rear of both wheels after I blasted one of them, you can see the difference it makes, the metal surface is now clean and perfectly keyed for paint application.


And here they are after I had finished the blasting process. If you do this yourself, make sure you blow off all the grit with compressed air, paint them withing 2 hours of blasting as they will rust VERY quickly if you don't. And DO NOT touch the blasted surface with your bare hands as you will leave fingerprints in it that WILL show through the paint.


Immediately after blasting I placed the wheels in a spray booth and applied 2 coats of primer.


Followed by 2 coats of gloss black. And don't they look superb!

















No comments: