Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Yesterday I bought 8 meters of 3x25mm flat steel bar from a steel stockist - for a fiver!!! I can't believe how much the price of steel has gone down, the ERW box section I bought for the chassis cost me over 200 quid a year ago!

Anyhow, as soon as I got it home, i set to work making brackets, as the car is now a rolling chassis, it's time to start fixing things to it. I trial fitted the BMW steering column on some made up brackets, and it's not quite right, so this afternoon I'll grind the welds off and try again. I hope to use the donors steering column as all the electrics will simply plug back into the loom, and will save the expense of buying another column.

The other thing I'll be doing this afternoon is collecting my steering rack from the courier. I'll see then whether it is suitable.

No comments: