Thursday, September 3, 2009

Well,

serves me right for saying it wasl flying along. Seems like weeks have gone by with very little progress. Just when I managed to pick up the pace, loads of things got in the way, my BMW broke down and it took me over a week to fix it, then the garage lights blew and it took me another few days to fix them. Well no more excuses now I'm getting back on with it.

I have now got the correct bolts for the front wishbones and they are now fully assembled. I've fitted some pieces of 25mm box section stell with 12.5mm holes drilled in either end, in place of suspension springs/dampers. This means that when I have the wheels fitted properly, I can put it on the floor on it's wheels.

Talking about the wheels, I've been unable to fit them properly as the nuts I got from a scrappie are capped and won't run far enough down the studs to clamp down on the wheels. So I need to get some ordinary, open-ended ford wheel nuts.

I've also got the correct bolts to hold the rear axle carrier in properly, and fitted it. So It's now doing it's job as a supporting member of the chassis. Today I cleaned up the rear semi-trailing arms And I'll get them fitted on soon. They will then get the same treatment as the front, with tubes in place of suspension for the time being.

I'm waiting on a steering rack to be delivered, I found a BMW 3 series (E36) one on ebay cheap the other day (£30 delivered) so when that arrives, I can start developing the steering.

No comments: