Wednesday, August 12, 2009

ok, this evening a dismantled the wishbones again, as I needed to flip the chassis over to gain access to the underside.

I spent an hour and a half painstakingly grinding off the chequers from my floor panel. I made it from a sheet of 2mm chequerplate, but for it to sit flat and seal against the bottom of the chassis, I had to remove the chequers where the 2 meet. It's not safe to do this with a grinding wheel, as the aluminium builds up in the stone, clogs it, expands and the stone may explode! So the safer way to abrade aluminium is to use a flap wheel or disc. These break up easily as you use them and cannot be clogged by the ground aluminium.

I actually went through 5 flap discs to do it, my hands are stinging and my ears are ringing but it will all be worth it in the end.

After this, I flipped the chassis over (which is getting harder - it's getting heavier all the time!) and clamped the floor panel on flat and marked out the lines to drill the rivet holes along.

All in all one very productive evening.

No comments: